Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

Mermaid Sea of Possibilities

There are a sea of possibilities with the new catalog, and I have been going crazy creating—couldn't be happier about that either! I'm feeling more inspired than ever with the new products, and with summer here, the two are colliding. Like I talked about yesterday, I've been dreaming of the beach, and Stampin' Up! has been a muse for that! So today I have another beach inspired card, and finally cranked out that mermaid I was hoping for with yesterday's card!
 
This card actually began with me having zero inspiration, and took me quite awhile to put together mentally. I walked away several times, and didn't have any idea what to do for a mermaid. So the card started out with the shaker and watercolored base. For the watercoloring, I used Lost Lagoon, Coastal Cabana, and Pool Party, same combo as yesterday. I loved meshing the colors together with the Aqua Painter. They blended perfectly together! After that, I started creating a shaker frame with the "scales" left from yesterday's card on the inside. I LOVE creating these fun accents, and love how my water shows through the frame. The Window Sheets, Shaker Frames, and Dimensionals make it so easy to create a fun card like this. After I had the background and shaker completed, I started fiddling with the flags, but still had no idea on where this card was going to end up. At that point I walked away, to save it for another day.


So like I said, I had no idea what I was going to do for a mermaid, as I'd been thinking on how to create one for a week or so how. I almost gave up, and was going to use a seahorse from the By the Tide stamp set. Though I LOVE that set, I'm so glad I didn't settle. Yesterday afternoon, I was browsing the digital downloads for My Digital Studio, and something clicked... I saw a brush set with a Santa hat. HELLO! An upside down Santa hat totally looks like a mermaid's tail! So, I decided to go with a punch art "Santa hat" flipped over to create the perfect mermaid's tail. The tail is made from the Extra Large Oval Punch, Word Window Punch, and Corner Rounder. I punched the oval, cut off some of an end, and punched the Word Window Punch on the diagonal twice towards the other end. Now, there was a harsh point where I used the Word Window Punch, so I rounded that out with the Corner Rounder. The end of the tail is made from the extra I cut off the end, just using the oval to punch a leaf shape from the rounded scrap. 
Before I put the tail pieces together, I ran the main piece through the Big Shot with the Fancy Fan Embossing Folder. The silver bit was made with foil paper and the Scallop Border Punch. I attached the end of the tail to the main piece with Glue Dots. I placed the entire tail on my Window Sheets with Dimensionals to make it really pop! Now, I only thought the mermaid was a dilemma, then it came time for the sentiment.


I had no idea what the card should say, so I perused my stamps, and came across the Really Good Greetings set—the "Imagine" from one of the stamps was perfect! So, I colored it with a Blackberry Bliss marker, to match the mermaid tail, and stamped it on the Watercolor Paper. After that, I decided to break out the new Alphabet Rotary Stamp to add a bit more. I stamped "Sea of" above imagine, then wrote in "possibilities" with the marker. It looked horrible! The rotary stamp got excess ink all of my Baked Brown Sugar frame. The hand written part looked plum ugly, and I was over all frustrated. So I walked away for a couple of hours. I cleared my head for awhile, but couldn't give up on the card, so I headed back to my desk. I took the card apart, redid the watercolor background, and redid the sentiment. This time "imagine" was on top & to the right. Next to that, I stamped "a", then under that "sea of". Now, I'd intended to stamp "possibilities" next to that, but it was too long.. Ack! So I stamped it underneath. Perfect!!! So I put my card back together, THEN realized I'd spelled possibilities wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AH!! But I couldn't give up, I loved this card! So, went back to it first thing this morning, and here is the perfect finished product!
I absolutely LOVE how this card turned out, and love the whimsical mermaid tail! The "scales" are so perfect to go with the theme, and I love how the sentiment stamped not quite perfectly on the watercolor paper. Yes, I love that part, because it adds to that watercolory feel. Now, the rotary stamps do stamp well on smooth cardstock, but there is a trick I learned with them last night. When you ink the rotary stamps with an ink pad, they tend to get too much ink on them, and in places where ink isn't necessary. So, dumdadadum... ink your rotary stamp with a Stampin' Write Marker!!! Stamps perfectly, and NO extra ink!! It took some trial and error, but I was so glad to come up with the permanent solution to the too much ink problem. Anyhow, I've had SO much fun with this card even with the roadblocks! I hope you've had just as much fun checking it out! Thank you for stopping by today! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
 
post signature
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, and leaving your thoughts!